Website Manager

RailRoaders Baseball Inc.

News Detail

30

Sep, 2017

Why the name Railroaders? Its our town history!

The North Carolina Railroad Company's decision to build a rail line from Goldsboro to Charlotte in the 1850s would forever change the local landscape. The route through Johnston County ran along the Raleigh-New Bern Stage Road, where Isaac and Sarah Stallings operated an inn and way station. About 1853, the first leg opened between Goldsboro and Raleigh, and the company located a wood-fueling stop on the Stallings property near present O'Neil and Front Streets. The widow Sarah Stallings sold lots around the station to William Sanders, who built a hotel; to Jule Nichols and W. W. Cox, who built stores; to Troy Bunn, who established a turpentine distillery; and to Wesley Hicks, who opened a bar room. Manufactured goods from the north became increasingly plentiful with the railroad's advent, and within a generation, items such as the spinning wheel and hand loom became relics of the past. Occupations such as tanner and cooper also became obsolete. In 1856, the federal government closed the Gulley's Store post office and opened a new facility near Stallings Station, naming it Clayton. A bill was introduced in the state legislature, although it did not receive a second reading, to incorporate the Town of Clayton in 1859. Ten years later, on April 12, 1869, Clayton finally received a charter.

Contact

RailRoaders Baseball Inc.

 
Clayton, North Carolina 27528

Email: [email protected]

Copyright © 2022 Clayton Railroaders  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Log In