Website Manager

Henderson Girls Softball Association

News Detail


May, 2020

HGSA's Season Continuation Plan

To all of our HGSA families, players, and coaches,

Thank you all for your patience during this time of uncertainty and unprecedented circumstances, which have brought so much of our lives into situations and realities that no one could have either foreseen or prepared for.

Throughout the daily developments and measures mandated by the local and federal government; HGSA has remained positive and worked to plan a recovery schedule to salvage our Spring Season if it were at all possible.

New information issued and decisions made this past week by the Governor, the City of Henderson, our parent organization USA Softball and our own HGSA family members; have added to the existing complications we have been grappling with, bringing us to the decision of postponing league play.

TOP 5 CONCERNS (in no particular order):

1) Continuing concerns that the floating dates, durations and the possibility of reversal of the reopening, (due to new outbreaks) during the Governor’s “phased-opening” plan; could again halt any season schedule that HGSA may set in motion.

2) City of Henderson revised their earliest date to make our fields available to mid-June, which further pushes the play season into the hotter portion of summer and complicates scheduling of games and fields in order to avoid playing during the hottest hours of the day.

3) HGSA families have shared concerns which include financial concerns and realities brought about by the economic shut-down, concerns over the players being on-field during the hot summer period and absence due to other plans already committed to during the summer months. All of these concerns could, and will probably, reduce the number of players on some, many, or all of the teams to a point where scheduled play could not be possible.

4) The “social-distancing” guidelines as they stand now would limit the number of people who could be at each ballgame to 50. Doing the math, with approximately 30-34 players, coaches and umpires already on the field, only 20, or less spectators spaced 6 feet apart would be allowed as spectators. That does not even allow for all parents; let alone siblings or other relatives.

5) Our parent organization, USA Softball; has issued “Back to the Ballpark Recommendations”, which we believe (at this point) to be intended for use during the near-term recovery period. It contains some common-sense guidelines concerning additional team personnel disinfecting bats, eliminating touching, hugs, high-fives and sharing equipment. But it also contains untried solutions such as moving the plate umpire back further behind the catcher and having them wear a mask and gloves. USA Softball has also issued a new Indemnity (“Hold-Harmless”) legal document for each participating family to sign before they will be allowed to participate in the program. 

We do not take this decision lightly and do not welcome this interruption to our members enjoyment of our program for the first time since its inception on 1991. But for all of the reasons outlined above and other related issues. We believe it better to postpone league play and carry the existing teams into the Fall session as best we can, with the hope that circumstances then will be more defined and closer to a return to normal operations. 


We will be proceeding from where we left off:
• Fees paid for the Spring session will be applied to the Fall session.
• Teams will continue with the players they drafted, who choose to roll-over with the team.
• Players who opt-out during the interim, will not be guaranteed a spot in their current team.
• Each team will still be responsible to secure a sponsor; same amount as in the Spring session, as Land O Frost has already submitted funds for sponsorship for the 6U, 8U and 10U teams.
• 12U, 14U and High School teams will remain at $400 per team.

Fundraising and other activities we will still plan to do, (dates to be announced later):
• Fundraising Raffle.
• Bundt Cakes.
• Picture Day.
• Fall Fling. 

We had hoped to be able to give the girls their season; but as listed earlier in our concerns, we do not believe that this can currently be done safely and fairly. We hope that the Fall session will more closely resemble what the girls are used to and in the time leading up to it, we can better prepare to make it so.

HGSA had to pay the bills just like everyone else; USA Softball Insurance and Registration for the teams, Field Fees to the City of Henderson, team uniforms and game balls had all been paid and/or purchased.

If any of you coaches and/or team managers have registration, sponsor, or fundraising monies; hold onto them until the Fall session. If new checks have to be issued due to the delay, we will work it all out at that time.

We hope that everyone stays safe and healthy; we look forward to seeing everyone in the Fall!



Henderson Girls Softball Association

5251 Martingale Ave. 
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119

Phone: 702-736-9398
Email: [email protected]

Copyright © 2021 Henderson Girls Softball Association  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Log In