The following is the Code of Conduct all managers, coaches and other adult volunteers are obligated to follow in SJNLL, or at any SJNLL activity (such as tournament, games played in other Little Leagues, Hit-a-Thon, special events, etc.). Violation of any rule may result in ejection, reprimand, suspension and/or expulsion.
Youth sports programs play an important role in promoting the physical, social, and emotional development of children. As managers and coaches in San Jose National Little League you should be models of good sportsmanship and behavior for your child and all children in the community including participants and spectators alike.
The San Jose National Little League Board of Directors ask that you pledge to be responsible for your words and actions while coaching, officiating, and participating in San Jose National Little League events, and that you conform your behavior to the following Code Of Conduct:
● Place the emotional and physical well being of players ahead of personal desire to win.
● Treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for the same age group.
● Do your best to provide a safe playing environment for all players.
● Do your best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all players.
● Lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all players.
● Teach the rules of the game to all players, officials, and parents.
● Remember that you are a youth sports coach and that the game is for children and not adults.
● Do not abuse other coaches, umpires, parents, or players.
● Promote fun, fairness, and sportsmanship over winning.
● Do not engage in the use of profanity or other offensive language.
● Encourage all team members to treat all players, teammates, coaches, officials, and parents with respect.
● Emphasize and foster a team atmosphere and not individual achievements.
● Be responsible for league policies.
● Return all equipment and player evaluations per league policies.
The following behavior will result in immediate ejection from the game or SJNLL-approved activity, a mandatory two game suspension from the next regularly scheduled games, and such other action as SJNLL deems appropriate: trash-talking to opponents / taunting / unsportsmanlike conduct / using profane, obscene or vulgar language abusive, harmful or unwarranted disruptions to the game / throwing bats, helmets, gloves, or other equipment in anger / verbal disrespect directed towards an umpire, game official, league official, player, manager, coach or spectator.
Managers and coaches shall never threaten to or physically harm or abuse any player, umpire, game official, league official or spectator at any time for any reason. This type of behavior will result in immediate dismissal from SJNLL for the remainder of the season and subject that individual to a permanent ban from SJNLL.
It shall be mandatory for all managers and coaches at the completion of their game to participate in a post-game cheer and handshake ceremony with the opposing team on the field of play. All managers and coaches must thank the umpiring crew and any other game officials present. Any manager or coach not participating shall be suspended for the following two regularly scheduled games and be subject to further suspension at the discretion of the Board of Directors of SJNLL.
Any manager or coach who deliberately circumvents any of SJNLL rules or regulations, especially the mandatory playing rules, is subject to suspension or expulsion from SJNLL. The Board of Directors of SJNLL has the right and discretion to suspend any manager, coach, or player for any part of or for the entire season for any conduct violation, which results in an ejection or is deemed by the Board of Directors to be detrimental to the operation and purpose of SJNLL.
Managers and coaches who are ejected from a game twice in any season are subject to a mandatory suspension for the remainder of the season. This individual will automatically lose their eligibility to participate in any post-season tournaments. In addition, the manager and/or coach shall be subject to a permanent expulsion from SJNLL at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
A manager or coach ejected from a game will not be allowed to remain in the dugout or the spectator area and must immediately vacate the proximity of the baseball field. Failure to do so in a timely manner without further argument or delay may result in forfeiture of the game.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subjected to disciplinary action levied by the San Jose National Little League Board of Directors or Code of Conduct Committee that could include, but is not limited to the following:
● Verbal warning
● Written warning
● Manager/coaches suspension for games
● Manager/coaches season suspension
● Manager/coach removal from all league activities
The San Jose National Little League Board of Directors retains the sole authority to determine what, if any, disciplinary action is appropriate for any conduct infraction.
Any disciplinary action will begin immediately upon notification to the offending party by the Board of SJNLL and take effect before the next scheduled game of the offending party.
The use of illegal drugs anywhere on or in the vicinity of the playing fields is strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule will result in immediate expulsion from the league.